We were delighted to assemble a super-knowledgeable panel of experts for our #SkiGreen webinar today, so we couldn’t let them get away without sharing their quick tips for improving your eco profile on the piste. Perfect timing for #WorldEnvironmentDay, and with one proviso: no one was allowed to promote their own business.
Our experts’ #SkiGreen tips:
1 Keep harmful microfibres out of the waste stream: use a Guppy bag when you wash your clothing.
– Rachael Westbrook, Founder of EcoSki clothing
2 Choose veggie or vegan food when you can, even while out on the mountain, to help make best use of the world’s resources.
– Iain Martin, Founder of Ski Flight Free and presenter of The Ski Podcast
3 Take the train to the slopes – it’s more fun, less hassle and massively reduces your carbon footprint.
– Jim Stewart, Founder and MD, BUTTA eco ski/board wax
4 Favour resorts that use renewable energy (there are plenty of them)
– Peter Speight, Team GB Olympic freestyle skier and account executive Futerra
5 Don’t wash ski clothes more than you have to – spot clean hot chocolate or vin chaud stains rather than putting the whole thing through the machine.
– Nicola Davenport, Co-founder, WhoSki.com
6 Provide environmental feedback to your ski resort, operator, supplier as it will encourage them to do the right things and address the things they are getting wrong.
– Daniel Elkan, Founder of Snowcarbon and sustainable travel journalist
Circular Economy Week, London 2020
The WhoSki.com #SkiGreen webinar, chaired by WhoSki.com Co-founder Sally Warren, formed part of this year’s ‘virtual’ CE Week London, with a a series of snappy presentations from our expert panellists followed by a Q&A session.
Topics covered included:
- how to spot a ‘green’ ski resort
- why we should all choose environmentally conscious wintersports clothing
- how to organise your ski train trip to the mountains
- why secondhand is no longer second rate when it comes to pre-loved
- why PFCs are ‘the forever chemical’
- how we can protect our mountains for the next generation
Many thanks to all who took part, Circular London for proving us with a slot at this prestigious event, and Sustainable Merton for supporting us with the advice and tech expertise that powered the #SkiGreen webinar.
Watch the video of our #SkiGreen webinar:
Read the presentations:
- Rachael Westbrook, Founder of EcoSki clothing: WEBINAR EcoSki_CE Week June 2020
- Daniel Elkan, Founder of Snowcarbon: WEBINAR SnowCarbon_CE Week June 2020
- Iain Martin, Founder of Ski Flight Free and presenter of The Ski Podcast: WEBINAR Ski Flight Free_CE Week June 2020
- Nicola Davenport, Co-founder, WhoSki.com: WEBINAR WhoSki_CE Week June 2020
See also: 3 ways to #SkiGreen this and every season